1) Throttle Cable: So I found that I needed a new throttle cable as the original one was 21.5″ long. For a Holley carb this was about an inch too short. I decided to get a Lokar 24″ universal cable with a new bracket. This should allow me to cut-to-fit the cable and get full throttle on it.
2) Rear Brakes: I wanted to get the car moving and rushed the rear brakes. Turns out the line does not fit as expected and I still need to install the emergency cable. I’ll take it out for a test run or two then put it up on blocks to fix this.
3) Alignment: I need to get this done after the brakes.
4) Pesky Oil/Fluid Leaks: My plan is to redo the engine this year, so I’m hoping to hold off for now on fixing these. The one near the distributer I need to keep a closer eye on. I’m not sure of the other leaks, I’m sure I’ll find out those soon enough.
5) Radio / Electronics: Hoping to get these sometime this summer, but only if I can drive it around more than have it on blocks.
To get my car running here’s what I have done to it thus far.
- New Diff – New Moser 12 bolt, Tru Trac, 3.42 gears.
- New Rear Suspension – New Hotchkis control arms, stabilizer springs and shocks)
- Front Suspension – Powder coated stock control arms, new Hotchkis springs and stablizer and new shocks.
- Brakes – New lines, power booster and master cylinder new drums in rear and new disc and spindles in front.
- Body Pan – Sanded & Painted with rustoleum and put new sound absorbing padding in with original carpet just cleaned.
- Starter Wiring – This was rigged up with a pushbutton switch vs. the ignition, had to correctly wire it to get working.
- Alternator & Regulator & Wiring – This was again rigged up, the regulator failed, so the gen light was on all the time, I ended up replacing the alternator with a PowerMaster 47294, 140AMP. It has an internal regulator and the wiring was redone with 10 gauge and 8 gauge.
- Wiper Motor – I purchased a switch but this did not work, so I had to rig up something.
- Seat Belts – Probably the biggest pain, I purchased some RetroBelt, but the mounts don’t work well and the belt is marginal. This will need to get replaced.
- Throttle Bracket & Cable – The cable was too long and the cable only pulled to about 1/2 throttle. I purchased a new bracket and cable from Amazon.
- K&N Air Filter & Top – The old ones are black, need some new ones.
I just got a muscle car. A 1971 Chevelle 4 Door Hard Top. It needs some work, but it’s got a nice engine and the body is in rather good shape for a 39 year old car.